Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin


Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin passed away last night, at age 91. Much will be said in the coming days as those who loved Elder Wirthlin reflect upon his life. I want to say a few words as well.
I had the privilege of meeting Elder Wirthlin a number of times, in a variety of settings. His daughter--whom I love--was married to my brother (my brother is now deceased). I have been in the Temple with Elder Wirthlin as he performed marriages--most recently just a few months ago in what I consider to be one of the most sacred yet simple marriage ceremonies I have ever witnessed. Temple sealings are always a time of purity, happiness, and holiness. I have stood by him in a hospital room by the bedside of my ailing brother--a time of great sorrow and grief. I have seen Elder Wirthlin and visited with him in more casual settings--in someone's backyard or living room. I also had some contact with him as a businessman, a family man, and a friend to my parents.
What I am trying to say is this: I can say with great confidence that this was a man who was true to the faith. This was a man who was unfailingly kind. He was honest, whole, happy, solid, faithful, thoughtful, dependable, and selfless. He was a man who could be trusted. His example was stellar, his words were inspired. Elder Wirthlin patterned his life--as best a man can--after the Savior's example. He lived what he believed and taught.
He will be missed by the Church, the community, his family, and all who knew and loved him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Mom. I always looked forward to seeing him at Kathy's family functions. So happy! I just read his last talk and loved it (again).

Egan Metcalf said...

amen

Meagan @ Meagan Tells All said...

Beautiful post Holly! I sure do miss you!! my favorite talk of his will always be "Dark friday, bright Sunday"....he has a way with words that can hit right to the center of my heart.