Monday, October 27, 2008

Joseph Smith for President


I decided I wanted to write a blog entry that somehow made note of the time we live in--this soon to be historic presidential contest. I remembered that Joseph Smith also once ran for President of the United States. As I googled the subject I came across this blog from another Mormon writer who reminds us of the reason Joseph ran, and one of the planks of his political philosophy. Wouldn't it have been marvelous if the country had freed the slaves as Joseph suggested, rather than the devastating horror that was the Civil War?


5 comments:

Katie M. said...

oohh. great post-provokes a lot of contemplation. i think this year i will have to simply write in someone's name on the ballot- like, spencer monson.. imagine if the country fell into the hands of our prophet and his counselors-- things would improve drastically.
i really enjoyed the link you posted for the article- thar blog author has some other great articles- one particularly on glenn beck's "future of america"..

anyways.. much love from philly auntie holly!

Kristine said...

that was a great blog link. very interesting. i liked reading the reasons for why he ran.

Hilary said...

wow, I'd forgotten that. I know...think how history would have been different.
How do you like your Squeeky Green?

H C M said...

I LOVE my squeaky green.

Tom Weston said...

I'm not sure that slavery would have been abolished any faster by Joseph Smith.

The history of Mormonism, as with nearly all faiths, has much to answer for in regards to race relations.