Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Do I?

Consider the following paragraph from a book, and ask yourself "Do I?"

"Of particular importance is the understanding that ours is a restored Church and as such binds us in faith and practice to the peoples of the Bible. Indeed, we are the true old-time religion; we have no principles save they are eternal. [do I?] We seek with great interest a knowledge and understanding of the ancient Saints and their faith and practices. Just as they called forth the revelations of heaven, worked miracles, entertained angels, and stood in the divine presence, we seek to do the same, standing where they stood and believing what they believed [do I?].

"It is through our faith that we will find salvation even as they found it. It follows that we cannot truly be students of the Doctrine and Covenants without also being students of the Old and New Testaments [am I?]. In the Doctrine and Covenants many of the words of the prophets find fulfillment...These revelations witness that the Bible is true and that all that has been spoken by God's prophets will find fulfillment."
-from Revelations of the Restoration, by Joseph Fielding McConkie and Craig J. Ostler, page 41

The message in the above passage is inspiring. To me it is a reminder that I am a believer. I believe God speaks, I believe in miracles, the ministration of angels, salvation, and the fulfillment of prophecy, to name just a few. The words of Holy Writ--the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price--work together to promote this, my precious faith. From time to time, it is good to ask "Do I believe, do I seek as did those I learn of in scripture?"

1 comment:

sa-rah said...

Wow-what a great reminder of the power we can have in our lives, if we really believe what we say we believe. Thanks for sharing this!